Real Estate and Business Transactions
Bart W. Howk is a Director at Torkildson Katz Hetherington Harris & Knorek. He helps clients enter into productive business deals while minimizing risk. His practice includes real estate purchases and sales, real estate development, real estate and commercial financing, commercial leasing, condominiums, business organizations, and mergers and acquisitions.
- Negotiated and closed a refinanced mortgage loan for the entire Maui Lu resort.
- Negotiated a 20-year lease for the USS Battleship Missouri Memorial at Pearl Harbor.
- Negotiated and closed the sale of 550 acres in Waikele, Island of Oahu.
- Served as general counsel for development, sales, and leases of a 500-acre project in Kalaeloa, Island of Oahu.
- Served as the real estate and general counsel for the subfranchisor of a national coffee chain for the entire State of Hawaii.
- Served as general counsel for the current developer of the Ke Kailani subdivision and condominium project on the Island of Hawaii, including applying for subdivision registration and sales to the public.
- Negotiated and closed a commercial mortgage-backed security (CMBS) refinancing involving complex interlinking transactions for the Plaza at Milltown Shopping Center.
- Negotiated the sale of a hotel in Waikiki, Island of Oahu.
- Negotiated and closed the sale of a high-end fashion boutique store in Waikiki, Island of Oahu.
- Represented a Japanese tourist company in various business negotiations and transactions, including publishing magazines, selling tour activities, renting trolleys, providing loyalty-card rewards, and selling advertisements.
- Negotiated agreements in connection with providing recreational sailing tours and catamaran cruises in Waikiki, Island of Oahu.
- Assisted with sale of a partial ownership interest in a company for $138,000,000.
- Handled all transfers of ownership interests of business entities across the United States for one of the largest healthcare-management companies in the nation.
- Assisted with a $50,000,000 purchase of 3,500 acres on the Island of Hawaii.
- Assisted with the negotiation and closing of a multi-tenant shopping center in Waikiki, Island of Oahu.
- Negotiated and closed numerous business purchases and sales, including corporate restructures, acquisitions, stock-purchase agreements, and other transfers of ownership interests.
- Created and organized numerous for-profit and nonprofit entities.
- Negotiated and drafted documents for numerous other types of business transactions, including independent-contractor agreements, power-purchase agreements, property-management agreements, advertising agreements, vacation rental agreements, parking-stall rental agreements, and broker-commission agreements.
- Real Estate Transactions From Start to Finish: Drafting the Letter of Intent and Purchase and Sale Agreement (National Business Institute), Author and lecturer, 2018
- Real Estate Transactions From A to Z (National Business Institute), Author and Lecturer, 2017
- LLC Operating Agreements: Formation and Drafting (National Business Institute), Author and Lecturer, 2016
- Title Law in Hawaii: Issues with Title Insurance (National Business Institute), Author and Lecturer, 2016
- Limited Liability Companies (National Business Institute), Co-Author and Co-Lecturer, 2015
- Advanced Issues in Real Estate Law (National Business Institute), Co-Author and Co-Lecturer, 2015
- Avoiding Ethical and Malpractice Pitfalls (HSBA Annual Convention), Co-Author and Co-Lecturer, 2014
- Legal Ethics in Construction Law (Lorman Education Services), Author and Lecturer, 2012, 2013
- Road and Access Law: Researching and Resolving Common Disputes (National Business Institute), Co-Author, 2011
- The Fives of Hawaii Business (760 KGU), Co-Host, 2011–2012
- Law Clerk, Honorable Paul M. Spinden, Western District Court of Appeals of Missouri, 2006–2007
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hawaii Society of Business Professionals, President (2018–Present), President Elect (2016–2017), Director (2015–Present), Programs Committee Co-Chair (2015–2017)
- Boys & Girls Club Alliance Board, Director (2017–Present), Membership-Development Committee (Co-Chair 2017–Present)
- Hawaii State Bar Foundation, Director (2013–2014), Secretary (2013–2014)
- Young Lawyers Division, Director (2013–2014), Secretary (2014), Law Week Committee (2013–2014, Co-Chair 2014), Legal Lines Committee (2014)
- Hawaii State Bar Association Leadership Institute Fellow, 2011–2012
- J.D., 2006, University of Kansas School of Law
- University of Kansas Law Review
- M.B.A., 2006, University of Kansas School of Business