H. Shan Wirt serves as Of Counsel in the business law and litigation department of the firm.
Her roots are in business advocacy. Most recently, she launched the Minority Business Development Agency's Enterprising Women of Color Business Center at the YWCA O'ahu. As the Director, she provided strategic direction and managed a diverse team to help over 4,400 small businesses across the nation grow through business analysis, market access and access to capital. The Center is one of five across the nation established by the U.S. Department of Commerce. She is frequently invited to speak on topics focused on advancing women and minority-owned businesses. In the last two years alone, she spoke at 18 events.
Over the years, Ms. Wirt has provided strategic legal and public relations counsel to clients ranging from FORTUNE 500s to small businesses on contract, real and intellectual property, procurement, employment, compliance, collections and tort issues. She has represented a wide range of businesses and organizations including but not limited to financial institutions, retailers, manufacturers, distributors, telecommunication companies, utilities, medical service entities, nonprofits, AOAOs, construction contractors and educational institutions, as well as insurance companies and their insureds.
In addition to her law practice, Ms. Wirt teaches business-focused law classes. She is an Adjunct Professor for the Small Business Capstone course at the University of South Carolina School of Law. She was also an Instructor for the Small Business Entrepreneurship Clinic at the University of Hawaii William S. Richardson School of Law.
Ms. Wirt currently serves as Chair and Trustee of Hawaii Supreme Court's Lawyers' Fund for Client Protection, which reimburses clients who lost money/property due to theft/dishonesty by Hawaii attorneys. She is on the Boards of Hawaii Women Lawyers and Hawaii Women's Legal Foundation, as well as Hawaii Supreme Court’s Nominating Committee. She previously served as President of Hawaii Women Lawyers (2016-17), Vice Chair of Hawaii State Bar Association’s Litigation Section (2011) and Secretary of Windward Spouse Abuse Shelter (2017-20). While at the University of Hawaii William S. Richardson School of Law, she was Editor-in-Chief of the Asian-Pacific Law & Policy Journal and a two-term member of the American Bar Association Client Counseling Competition team.
Ms. Wirt also served as Marketing Communications Group and Program Risk Manager for Hawaii Energy, $37+ million/year ratepayer-funded energy conservation and efficiency program serving the majority of the State, as third-party administered by Leidos (FORTUNE 500, fka SAIC) under contract with the Hawaii Public Utilities Commission.
Before practicing law, she worked for one of Hawaii's largest public relations firms and an internationally well-regarded firm, specializing in media relations & integrated marketing communications for the tourism, hospitality and food industries.
- Hawaii Supreme Court’s Lawyers’ Fund for Client Protection, Chair (2020 - Present) & Trustee (2017 - Present)
- Hawaii Supreme Court’s Nominating Committee, Member (2020 - Present)
- Hawaii Women Lawyers, Board of Directors (2018 - Present & 2010 - 12), President (2016 - 17)
- Hawaii Women’s Legal Foundation, Board Member (2016 - Present)
- Hawaii Court Annexed Arbitration Program, Volunteer Arbitrator (2019 - Present)
- Hawaii State Bar Association’s Litigation Section, Vice Chair (2011)
- Windward Spouse Abuse Shelter, Board of Director and Secretary (2017 - 21)
- Child & Family Service, Guild Vice Chair (2012 - 13)
- Hawaii State Bar Association's Leadership Institute, Fellow (2010 - 11)
- Access to Justice Room (Honolulu District Court), Volunteer Attorney
- Volunteer Legal Services Hawaii, Volunteer
- Recipient of the Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating, which recognizes lawyers with high ethical standards & professional ability
- University of Hawaii at Manoa, William S. Richardson School of Law: J.D. (2006)
- Asian-Pacific Law & Policy Journal: Editor-in-Chief (2005 - 6), Staff Writer (2004 - 5)
- American Bar Association Client Counseling Competition: Two-Term Team Member (2004 - 6); Runner-up Team at 2006 Regional Competition
- Lawrence C. Foster Endowment Fund Scholarship (2006)
- Gregory Conlan Memorial Prize (2006)
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award for Debtor & Creditor Rights (2006)
- University of Hawaii at Manoa: B.A. in Journalism (emphasis in public relations) with Distinction (1999)