H. Shan Wirt is a Senior Associate in the firm’s Honolulu office. Her practice focuses on business and civil dispute resolution and litigation.
Over the years, Ms. Wirt has provided strategic counsel to clients ranging from FORTUNE 500 companies to local businesses in matters involving business, real property, intellectual property, trust administration, employment and tort issues. She has represented major businesses and organizations, including financial institutions, manufacturers, medical service entities, contractors and educational institutions, as well as insurance companies and their insureds.
Ms. Wirt’s roots are in strategic communications and advocacy. She has a track record of providing solution-oriented counsel. Her priority – no matter the client or issue – is to provide effective and efficient counsel to minimize risk and maximize favorable terms in litigation, arbitration, meditation and settlement negotiations.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Wirt was the Marketing Communications Group & Program Risk Manager for Hawaii Energy, which is Hawaii, Honolulu and Maui counties’ ratepayer-funded energy conservation and efficiency program. The program is third-party administered by Leidos (a FORTUNE 500) under contract with the Hawaii Public Utilities Commission. Hawaii Energy was honored in 2016 by Environmental Leader with a “Top Project of the Year” award. The program’s $37 million+ annual budget served a majority of the State’s population (approximately 360,000 households and 60,000 businesses).
Before practicing law, Ms. Wirt worked for one of the state’s largest public relations firms, as well as a well-regarded boutique firm, specializing in media relations and integrated marketing communications for the tourism and hospitality industry.
- J.D., 2006, University of Hawaii, William S. Richardson School of Law
- Honors: Editor-in-Chief, Asian-Pacific Law & Policy Journal (2005-06); American Bar Association Client Counseling Competition Team (2004-06); Board Member, Phi Delta Phi (2003-06), CALI Excellence for the Future Award for Debtor & Creditor Rights; Lawrence C. Foster Endowment Fund Scholarship; and Gregory Conlan Memorial Prize
- B.A., 1999, University of Hawaii, Manoa
- Major: Journalism, Public Relations (Emphasis in Marketing) with Distinction
- Honors: American Advertising Federation - UH Manoa Chapter, Team Member (1st Place at 1999 National Student Advertising Campaign, District Competition); Public Relations Society of America, Hawaii Chapter Scholarship (1997); and Publicity Chair, Golden Key National Honor Society
Community Involvement/Professional Memberships
- Trustee, Hawaii Supreme Court’s Lawyers' Fund for Client Protection, 2017 - Present
- Secretary, Windward Spouse Abuse Shelter, 2017 - Present
- Board Member, Hawaii Women's Legal Foundation, 2016 - Present
- Board Member (and Prior President), Hawaii Women Lawyers, 2010 - Present
- Vice-Chair and Secretary, Hawaii State Bar Association Litigation Section, 2010 & 11
- Fellow, Hawaii State Bar Association Leadership Institute, 2010 - 2011
- Event Committee Member, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Hawaii’s Perfect Pairings fundraiser
- Vice-Chair of the Guild, a committee supporting Child & Family Service, 2012 & 2013
- Silent Auction Co-Chair, Iolani Alumni Association’s Touch of Iolani fundraiser, 2014
Admitted to Practice
- Hawaii State Bar, 2006
- U.S. District Court for the District of Hawaii, 2006
Areas of Practice
- Moskowitz v. Am. Sav. Bank, F.S.B., No. 17-00299 HG-KSC, 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 211537 (D. Haw. Dec. 26, 2017)
- Kersh v. Manulife Financial Corp., 792 F. Supp. 2d 1111 (2011)
- Haldeman v. Golden, No. 05-00810 DAE-KSC, 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 35326 (D. Haw. Apr. 29, 2008)