We are experienced health care attorneys who put your business' best interests first
There is no room for error in health care law. Hospitals and other health care facilities in Hawaii must comply with all applicable federal and state laws or face serious consequences. Our highly-qualified health care attorneys at Torkildson, Katz, Moore, Hetherington & Harris, Attorneys at Law, understand the seriousness of such cases. That is because we have decades of experience successfully working with health care providers to resolve complex legal issues in Hawaii.
What Are Common Health Care Legal Issues In Hawaii?
Our attorneys represent a wide range of clients in the health care industry including hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, ambulatory surgery centers, diagnostic imaging centers, clinical laboratories, pharmacies and pharmacy benefit managers, pharmaceutical manufacturers, home health providers, community health centers, urgent care centers, health plans, and physicians and physician groups.
We assist our health care clients with a variety of transactions including mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and capital formation. We also counsel clients regarding compliance with Medicare and Medicaid regulations, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the Emergency Medical Treatment & Labor Act (EMTALA), the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, and federal and state labor and employment laws relating to health care issues. Our attorneys have extensive experience working with health care providers on many issues, including:
- Representation of health care providers in defense in False Claims Act and qui tam actions.
- Representation relating to Certificate of Need.
- HIPAA compliance.
- Affordable Care Act compliance.
- Guidance regarding physician recruitment and contracting.
- Hospital medical staff credentialing and peer review.
- Risk assessment and mitigation
- Fraud and abuse compliance, investigation and self-reporting
- Formation of facilities.
- Representation on formation of outpatient health care facilities, including physician-hospital joint ventures and physician-owned facilities.
- Analysis of corporate structures and transactions to ensure compliance with fraud and abuse statutes, including the federal Anti-Kickback statute, the Stark law, and the federal False Claims Act.
- Physician contracting and compensation arrangements.
- Non-profit and tax-exempt organizations.
- Assistance with the development of compliance plans.
- Representation of health care providers in investigations and proceedings by the Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General and the State of Hawaii Medicaid Fraud Control Unit, including self-disclosure and resolution of provider-detected billing, Stark and Anti-Kickback violations.
- Guidance regarding compliance with HIPAA and other federal and state privacy laws.