Business Organizations and Activities; Health Care
J. George Hetherington is the President of the firm and Chair of its Corporate Department. He has been with the firm since 1978 and his practice is focused in the areas of corporate and health care law.
Mr. Hetherington's corporate practice revolves around mergers, acquisitions, divestures, capital formation, securities law, joint ventures, contract negotiation and preparation and other transactional work for new and established Hawaii businesses and national and international companies doing business in Hawaii, as well as representation of Taft-Hartley trust funds in ERISA compliance and a variety of other matters. In addition, he represents owners and lessees of commercial real estate in sales, acquisitions, lease negotiations and financing transactions.
In his health care practice, Mr. Hetherington represents a number of hospitals, long-term care facilities, assisted living facilities, physicians, medical groups, community health centers, ambulatory surgery centers, diagnostic imaging centers, clinical laboratories, pharmaceutical and device manufacturers, management companies, provider associations and health insurers in business transactions, certificate of need, tax-exemption, Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement issues, fraud and abuse, compliance and regulatory and legislative matters. He has also worked with health care companies and investment banks in Hong Kong, China, Singapore and Malaysia on various health care projects and joint ventures.
Mr. Hetherington received an "excellent" rating from his peers from Martindale-Hubbell.
- Best Lawyers in Hawaii in Health Care
- Best Lawyers in America
- Honolulu Health Care Law Lawyer of the Year
Community Involvement/Professional Memberships
- Hawaii State Bar Association (Taxation, Business and Health Law sections)
- American Bar Association (Taxation, Business and Health Law sections)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- J.D., 1978, University of California, Hastings College of the Law
- B.S., 1974, San Diego State University
- Honors: High Honors
Admitted to Practice
- Hawaii State Bar, 1978
- United States District Court, District of Hawaii, 1978
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, 1978